Sunday 11 December 2011

Adams: I hope I’m not done yet with The Arsenal


Tony Adams has spoken with pride about having a statue erected in his honour outside the Emirates and stressed that despite being cast in bronze he still harbours hopes of returning to work at The Arsenal.
The legendary club captain, who is still apparently working in Azerbaijan despite suggestions he had left Gabala, also revealed it took an official letter from the club asking for his dimensions before he twigged that
Speaking to the Arsenal official matchday programme ahead of yesterday’s one-nil victory over Everton, Adams hinted at a long-standing ambition to return to N5.
“A statue? You don’t really get one of those until you’re dead, do you? Well, I hope I’m not done yet. Actually, I hope I’m not done yet with the Arsenal! It’s an incredible honour being remembered like this.
“When I first heard about the idea of a statue, I thought they were probably talking about one of those little 6-inch high models you used to be able to buy when I was a kid.
“It wasn’t until I got the letter from [Club Secretary] David Miles asking about my measurements that I realised what was going on!”
Speaking about the moment captured in bronze – his celebration in the aftermath of his memorable volley against Everton in 1998 – Adams reflected:
“Oh, I just whacked the thing and I suppose it could have gone anywhere. But that was one of those days. I knew – we all knew – it was meant to be.
“A great season, a great afternoon. And the feeling after the ball went in, down the North Bank, was very special. It wasn’t going mad because I’d scored. It was sort of serene, just a moment that took me over.
“And I’m lucky; it was a moment, like Charlie [George] lying on the pitch at Wembley or Micky [Thomas] scoring at Anfield, that’s been remembered ever since.”
Although Adams was unable to make yesterday’s parade of club legends, the former centre-back will take to the Emirates pitch ahead of Boxing Day’s match with QPR.
Let’s hope his statue is still in good nick, as the man himself noted, “You know they’ll be Tottenham fans down trying to pin a tail on that statue, won’t there?”

No comments:

Post a Comment